We may not realize this goal in my lifetime, but persistent effort can roll back the possibility of catastrophe. We can chart a course that leads to the destruction of these stockpiles. We can stop the spread to new nations and secure deadly materials from fanatics.
【Vocabulary Quiz】 persistent / roll back / catastrophe / destruction / secure
1. to reduce the influence or power of a law, system, government etc.
2. continuing to do something, although this is difficult, or other people warn you not to do it
3. to make something safe from being attacked, harmed, or lost
4. the act or process of destroying something or of being destroyed
5. a terrible event in which there is a lot of destruction, suffering, or death
①Still, every act of aggression between nations, every act of terror and corruption and cruelty and oppression that we see around the world shows our work is never done. ②We may not be able to eliminate man's capacity to do evel, so nations and the alliances that we've formed must possess the means to defend ourselves. ③But among those nations like my own that hold nuclear stockpiles, we must have the courage to escape the logic of fear and pursue a world without them.
①Still は接続詞的に「それでも，それにもかかわらず」。前述の内容の正しさ，確かさを認めつつ，それとは対照的な事柄を導入するときに使います。that we see around the world は関係代名詞節。関係代名詞 that は代名詞ですから，see の目的語の欠落を確認して読み進めます。shows がこの文の中心である述語動詞。shows our work と読んでも is never done が浮いてしまうので，shows の後ろに接続詞thatの省略を考えることになります。② that we've formed も関係代名詞節で先行詞は the alliances。formed の目的語の欠落を確認します。③ that hold nuclear stockpiles も関係代名詞節。that は節内では主語になっています。先行詞は those nations。先行詞につく those や that は，この後に関係代名詞節が続くことの目印になっています。 最終行の and pursue a world ~ は，何と and で結ばれているのかを考えてほしいところ。可能性としては，have the courage ~ か escape the logic ~ かの２通り。ここではやはりバランスを考えて後者と考えるべきところです。
1. to completely get rid of something that is unnecessary or unwanted
2. to continue doing an activity or trying to achieve something over a long period of time
3. dishonest, illegal, or immoral behaviour, especially from someone with power
4. the act of attacking a country, especially when that country has not attacked first
5. the quality of being brave when you are facing a difficult or dangerous situation, or when you are very ill
And since that fateful day we have made choice that give us hope. The United States and Japan forged not only an alliance, but a friendship that has won far more for our people than we could ever claim through war. The nations of Europe built a Union that replaced battlefields with bonds of commerce and democracy. Oppressed peoples and nations won liberation. An international community established institutions and treaties that worked to avoid war and aspire to restrict and roll back, and ultimately eliminate the existence of nuclear weapons.
【一口メモ】現在完了形，関係代名詞，第4文型，to不定詞の副詞的用法，andの共通関係など，中学での既習文法項目が並びます。語法では，make choice という「make + 名詞」の表現，not only A but (also) B，many の比較級 much の代名詞用法（ここでは has won の目的語），さらにそれを強調する far，replace A with B などを押さえて読んでみましょう。
1. something that unites two or more poeple or groups, such as love, or a shared interest or idea
2. having an important, especially bad, effect on future events
3. an agreement in which two or more countries, groups agree to work together to try to change or achieve something
4. a formal written agreement between two or more countries or governments
5. to officially demand or receive money from an organization because you have a right to it
‛Who knows what happiness is?’ said the lighthouse keeper, comforting him. ‛So long as you're on the proper road, no matter how trying a thing may be, you'll be getting closer, one step at a time, up and down the high points and the low points to real happiness.’